RE: Post-tensioned slab on grade

Sounds like the voice of someone who's had to do this before.

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Harold Sprague [SMTP:harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com]
	Sent:	Thursday, November 05, 1998 8:47 AM
	To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
	Subject:	RE: Post-tensioned slab on grade

	If it is unbonded. (Which it probably is)
	1.  Chip out a window exposing the strand.
	2.  Heat the strand in the middle to relieve the tension.
	3.  Cut the strand after the stress is relieved.
	4.  Re-tension and re-anchor the strand at the edge of the new
opening.
	5.  Dress out the cut at the perimeter.

	Harold Sprague
	The Neenan Company
	harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Juan C. Gray [mailto:juangray(--nospam--at)col2.telecom.com.co]
	Sent: Thursday, November 05, 1998 11:55 AM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: Re: Post-tensioned slab on grade

	We recently built an 8" thick post-tensioned slab on grade , with
	overall dimensions 120 by 90 feet. The active reinforcement is 1
strand
	with 1/2" dia. every 2 feet, in both directions and placed in the
middle
	depth of the slab.
	Now the owner needs two openings of 3 by 8 feet along the edges of
the
	slab.
	I am worried  about cutting the tendons to make room for these
openings,
	because I'm not sure if the release of energy when I cut them may
damage
	the slab. Does anyone have any suggestion ?

	Juan Carlos Gray