Re: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

The problem is that in America you are not used to having foreign
competitors in the service sectors.  But you seem to deal ok with products
like Japanese cars and appliances.  But who ever heard of competing with a
lawyer, an accountant, or an engineer overseas!

Let me clarify that it is not "cheap labor" because, as you must be aware
of, the standards of living can be very different from one country to
another, so that what is considered rock-bottom engineering fees in the
States can be actually pretty good somewhere else and afford you a Cornell
graduate (like me!).  America does hire cheap labor overseas but for
production and assembly of merchandise.  I've just looked at the tags of
some American-brandname clothes, (which I bought here for twice the price
that
they are sold for in the States) and they are all "Made in the Philippines"
or "Assembled in Costa Rica".  Could you possibly afford to buy things
produced by American people?  No way.  Yet you believe that in a business as
competitive as engineering, contractors/designers should, supposedly on
ethical grounds, turn a blind eye on equally qualified engineers in another
country where rates are cheaper.

Perhaps you should look in a more positive way: if I get more and better
paid work, my economy and thus my spending capacity will improve, and I'll
buy more American clothes, shoes, books, software, etc. so that YOUR economy
improves.

I think that the Internet and satellite communication have opened a whole
range of possibilites for globalization of many industries, and I, for one,
hope to establish international links for my design consultancy pretty soon.
It doesn't have to be all negative- if you're designing a project overseas,
say in India or South America, your engineering won't be cost-competitive
against the locals.  But if you merge with a local firm and work together,
you can produce a well engineered product backed with local knowledge, at a
competitive price.  Just a thought.

Maria I. Falconi
Guayaquil, Ecuador