Re: Design fee guidelines

Whether the client sees "quality engineering" as value added or
"overdesign" is often a function of the client's relation to the project.
 A corporate or business client who is building for their own long-term
use may certainly listen to "value" arguements, particularly if they have
experienced the sad results of "minimum code" structures.  A developer,
on the other hand, usually finds it hard to charge extra for lease, rent,
or sale of a "better structure".

Perhaps we need to understand who our client is, and market our services
accordingly.  If your prospective client is of the low-bid-gets-the-job
mentality on a speculative development, and your service is "quality" and
"value", or state-of-the-art, you are probably selling in the wrong
marketplace.  Find a client who will value what you have to sell.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com
On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 10:47:59 -0800 "Bill Allen, S.E."
<Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com> writes:
 In a lot of cases, the "better" the structural engineering,
>the
>higher the construction costs are. This is often due to the fact that
>the
>"good" structural design considers ALL the elements of the building
>code as
>well as some judicious consideration of performance issues not
>necessarily
>mandated by code. While this may be a rational approach (by the design
>engineer as well as legal representation), the owner often interprets
>this
>methodology as "over engineering".
>
>To compensate, I believe we need to provide an ever expanding effort
>educate our clients with regards to "features and benefits" of a well
>engineered structure. IMO, it would be prudent to become service
>oriented
>and abandon "my way or the highway" attitude found in many engineering
>firms. Those firms who appreciate and understand construction methods
>and
>incorporate those considerations into their plans will generally have
>a more
>grateful clientele.
>
>Again, just my $0.02 and my opinion
>
>Regards,
>Bill Allen

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]