RE: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

Earl, I agree. But offering free software is never anything to take lightly
when you are being hit from all sides to maintain a current software
library.
I would have paid for my programs of choice but I'm certainly not suggesting
that someone tax these products just because I feel they are valuable.
On the other side, free software can often be used as an inducement to
evaluate a software that you might consider keeping and paying for all
future upgrades. At the least, it is some compensation for the time and
effort that we may need to spend in our "free" time to evaluate the
usefulness of a program.

In the long run, the programs you get free end up costing you. I.E. is a
lead-in to other MS products online. Outlook98 and I.E. promote other
products that are tied to these programs I.E. may create a greater
opportunity for MS with regard to MSN or their goals to create a universal
format that uses HTML for Office 2000 with networks, Word formats and even
Excel. I.E. is expected to be even more closely tied to the Office suite of
products. therefore, MS benefits financially down the road and the software
becomes far from free to the majority of the customers.

There is always a marketing plan involved with the way these programs are
offered to the public - some not as obvious as others.
Dennis