Re: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

Dear fellow Colleagues:

Here are some thoughts in this issue

I have not seen such a heated debate in years. However the fine prints
revealed a lot of insecurity behind the thoughts of some of our fellow
colleagues.  What happened with the old saying... When the going get tough,
the tough get going, or has it been replaced with,  If you cant stand the
heat get off  the kitchen.  I would not be concern with foreign competition,
instead I would be concern with self improvement to tackle such competition.
One way is to get involve in politics, since it closely tie to economy, this
is urgently needed to increase the voter participation percentage.   This
way more state funded universities can be opened.  By the way, there is
nothing wrong with working and putting oneself through college, this fellows
will be great engineers with hands on experience.   It is very pitiful and
even weird that in the best democracy in the world, the voting participation
is one of the lower, therefore the businesses are taking this sort  of
decisions and not the people.  The solution to the problems is lobbying, and
one way of doing it is supporting ASCE or any other PAC behind the
engineering profession.  Remember that there is link between Business,
Government, and Society and we engineers could be great politicians, (after
all there are wrestlers).  Trade has always been like this and it seems that
now is the turn to the engineers in your area.   Once again the key to this
is lobbying and self improving.  Young Doctors (MD's) are going through the
same with the HMOs, in other worlds until they gain some recognition in
their field, they are labors to these organizations.

This discussion has taken a lot of time from a big group of engineers, and
at times it has become bias and racist.  Everyone is entitled to a decent
living ... and the pursuit of happiness, not only engineers in your area but
foreigners as well.  It sure is a Catch 22, companies want to reduce cost
and go overseas, if they stay home they go bankruptcy and lay off workers.
It is the greed behind some companies that is causing some discomfort in our
societies, however life was not intended to be fair.   If this is of any
help, remember these words,  Rich is not the one who have the most but the
one who need the least.  Remember that the best things in life are free.
Family, beach, air, beliefs, etc.  People usually use money to buy stuff to
their kids, however, what kids need the most is quality time expend with
them.  Remember that old song Harry Chapin's  Cats in the craddle (Im not so
sure of the name).

Once again I hope that this issue be dropped so we can keep discussing
engineering, by the way I do not intend to offend anyones feelings.

Jose Manuel Mendez Marrero, P.E.