Plan check submittals and shop drawings

Maura and any other lurking architects,

When I wrote, "Maybe the average architect's thinking on the subjects of
professionalism and responsibility are fundamentally different than those of
the average engineer?" I was obviously moving to quickly since:

1.  I got the verb tense wrong (thinking ... is .. than that), and
2.  I wasn't clear enough to avoid the implication that I thought architects
less professional and responsible that engineers on this subject
(overstamping).

Maura's response noted, "it is not a question of 'professionalism', it is
perhaps that the two professions have different traditions and different
expectations of their members."

She's right.

My comment was meant literally -- architect's thinking on these issues is
fundamentally different than engineers.  I didn't say worse and I didn't
mean worse.

For the record, I am an overstamper, following Charles Greenlaw's theory
that with respect to California's regulations the second seal and signature
is in the way of a report verifying that the design has been reviewed for
compatibility with the work of the EOR.  I think the approach Maura
indicates is required in her area and traditional among architects is in
fact MORE professional and MORE responsible than that proposed by many who
posted on this issue last month.

IMHO, worries about our personal and professional liability must be
secondary to concerns for making safe structures.  In particular, I think it
is the obligation of a responsible structural engineer of record to do his
or her best to insure that the structural design of elements of buildings
for which they have overall responsibility is performed by qualified
professionals based on loads and other assumptions compatible with the
design of the overall structural system.  In the end, the buck stops with
the EOR, and overstamping is a way of acknowledging and accepting what I
think is a practical (legal) reality as well as a professional
responsibility.

My apologies to anyone who interpreted my post as a slam on architects.  The
reverse was intended.  I'm not always a promoter of everything about their
profession (in particular I hate in when they work cheap for their art and
expect me to go along for the ride, ref my friend Brad Smith's post earlier
this week), but in this case I think they are ahead of us.

Drew Norman
Drew A. Norman, S.E.