Re: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

I used to work for an International firm in Australia and we sometimes
helped out with some of the structural design and drafting work when some of
our other offices, in Asia or in America, couldn't handle the workload.  It
worked fine.

I also worked for them in London, and the project I worked on for most of
1997
was in America, and the Architect was somewhere else in Europe.  Another job
was in Asia, also with a European Architect.  All of them worked out just
fine.  And I can say this firm works very hard at meeting the Architect's
and Client's needs, because they have done some of the best engineering in
the world, with the most famous Architects.  The project directors and
managers flew back and forth for meetings, and through phone, fax and e-mail
we kept in perfect communication despite language and time zone barriers.
And we dealt with lots of penetrations in shear walls.

Our engineers and draftspersons were able to understand and apply design
codes, drawing standards, and customs in general from other countries.

So in my opinion, geographical spread does not imply inefficient or lower
quality engineering.

Maria I. Falconi
Guayaquil, Ecuador