RE: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

I certainly hope this is true - but not with any intention of hurting the
people of Maria's country. What I failed to respond to Mike (and I
admittedly took my comments off this list in order to avoid taking the
thread past the issues of engineering) or anyone else. Mike did not leave
the United States. This is a very important issue.
I've done exactly as Mike has and it worked to my advantage. I moved 150
miles away from Los Angeles - far enough to lower my cost of housing by 75%
yet close enough to maintain clients and working relationships with others
within the same Geographical area.
Profits gained within a service industry should only benefit those within
the same geographical area - i.e., other services - if we are to protect
each other. If we contract our services outside the United States, the money
we pay may not and probably will not be circulated back within the United
States. What good will it do to have product manufactured in other countries
at the expense of jobs here. Products do not come back into this country at
less than they were produced here - only profits increase. Automobile prices
may have stagnated for a while, but certainly did not reduce in price to
Americans seeking automobiles. The same is true of the clothing industry -
how much does it cost to make a pair of shoes based on the labor rate in
Indonesia? Do we see a savings when we purchase a pair of shoes? I don't
think so.
Now fewer Americans can buy back the goods that were taken out of the US.
The only ones who benefit are those with stock in these Corporations. Will
Corporate shareholders insure that their profits will generate new work in
the US? Why should they if the cost of labor is so high here. Shareholders
are a Global community. They are not simply Americans who buy stock -
therefore there is no loyalty to this country - and not even a Corporate
presence any longer.

I believe that the service industry is the last industry to survive. This is
assuming that it will be at least one or two generations before we are
appropriately assimilated into the computer industry (jobs working with
computers or in the manufacture of hardware and software). Inasmuch as this
is all we have to work with while the Global leveling of living standards
occurs, we need to protect the flow of money that originates within the
United States. This helps those who have work, hire those in this country
that need work and allow those in the US who need work to pay for the
services that they need to survive (doctors, utilities, housing, medical
etc).
We need to stop thinking how we can earn more profit by using labor in other
countries and start thinking of a way to insure that our neighbors are able
to maintain a living. If we don't then our society can only deteriorate or
be bought by the lowest bidder.

I like to think that this melting pot is a working community - we all have
an investment in our past and our futures (ours or our children's). We need
to work together to insure that our family, friends and neighbors survive
and we need to share our wealth within the country before we invest outside.

Respectfully
Dennis Wish PE