Re: Bulding structures on roller froundationsw

In a message dated 11/9/98 9:12:43 PM EST, burgosml(--nospam--at)hotmail.com writes:

<< I am an Architecture student at New York City Technical College.  I am
 currently working on a project for my Construction class.  My professor
 wants me to make a model of a building on a roller foundation (Seismic).
 I have looked and looked for drawings or details for such a structure,
 all to no avail.  I can not make a model of something I can only read
 about and not visually see.  Can anyone tell me where or from whom can I
 get this information from?  I am desperate.  Can anyone help a student
 out?!  I would be more than grateful.

 Thanks

 LILLY

I am not aware of any buildings which are truely on rollers, what I think you
are referring to is base isolation where the building sits on rubber bearings
or uses friction pendulum bearings.  Horizontal displacement is often
controlled by using dampers.

For detail information of how the details often look, you might want to
contact Dynamic Isolation Systems (DIS)  at  (510-283-1166) or  Earthquake
Protection Systems (510-653-5993) which are both located in the San Fransico
Area.   I am not sure if they have a website.

Michael Cochran