Design of Wood Top Plates

Hello,

What is the common practice for the design of top plates for a load
bearing wood stud wall (non-hurricane or seismic area).  The NDS has a
Flat Use factor for 2 x 6's used on their weak axis.  The problem is the
factor only applies to the Allowable Bending stresses (Fb) and not to the
Allowable Shaer Stresses (Fv).  The problem is I have trusses with a 2.8k
reaction on a 2 x 6 @ 16 " o.c. stud wall.  A double top plate will not
calc. out (2 x 6 SPF Stud Grade Fv=70 psi per NDS 1991)  Based on the
calcs, I would need approximately 5 plates (or if No 2 Southern Yellow
Pine was used 4 plates).  The architect would not accept this (over
engineered)  and the chances of having the workmen locating a stud
directly under the truss is not good.  Are there any factors I am
missing?  I understand that the shear check for wood is for a horizontal
shear and wood think a flat member would resist it better.  Anyone have
any suggestions?

Mike