Re: Building structures on roller foundationsw

LILLY:

As my colleague Michael gently points out, buildings on rollers are an urban
myth.  It may be that your professor is trying to get you to recognize the
physical problem, which is that such a structure might simply roll away when
the wind blew (in New York), or the earth moved (in California).  Michael
steered you towards information on base isolation, but it is possible your
professor wants a simple answer, e.g., there's no such thing and here's why.
Is he an engineer?  We often have peculiar senses of humor.

Drew Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates