Re: Design of Wood Top Plates

There are several "factors" that may help for flatwise horizontal shear.

The listed values typically have been for stouter solid-sawn members having
one or more flatwise splits parallel to grain at the end of the member where
the shear is highest, and where no concentrated vertical load bears nearby
that has the effect of pinching the split surface (or unsplit member)
strongly in crossgrain compression.

Your flatwise 2x6's are unlikely to have splits separating the 2-inch
direction, and you do have nearby concentrated loads and few nearby ends.

See what you can find in current NDS and commentary. Provisions come and go
like guests at an office Christmas party, and some of what I remember may
have gone home.

On the other hand, the lack of control of framing layout and unsympathetic
Architect you allude to suggests being wary of the whole business. Also,
wood stress allowables are statistically based from data scatter, not exact
and certain.

Charles O. Greenlaw, SE   Sacramento CA