Joist Chord Widths

Hello,

Are there any guidelines for estimating the width of the top chord (angle
 sizes and web size) in order to determine how far off of a wall to put
the first joist to allow an angle to lap enough for welding?  I have a
job where the joists (10K1 and 12K1) parallels the wall and I am wanting
to use a L4 x 3 x .25 slv on top for supporting the edge of the deck.  At
the moment I have the joist 5" from the wall but now I am concerned that
this is too far.  Is there any published information on this from SJI or
other sources?

Mike