Re: Design of Wood Top Plates

Mike,

what I normally do is specify that a stud be placed below the truss.
This very como especailly for comercial projects.  Ballon frame the
wall, place a block in the wall to support the joist(either top chord
hung or hanger) and place a short stud to align with the joist
underneath the block.

Ken Tarlow

---Michael D Zaitz <mzaitz(--nospam--at)surfsouth.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is the common practice for the design of top plates for a load
> bearing wood stud wall (non-hurricane or seismic area).  The NDS has
> Flat Use factor for 2 x 6's used on their weak axis.  The problem is
the
> factor only applies to the Allowable Bending stresses (Fb) and not
to the
> Allowable Shaer Stresses (Fv).  The problem is I have trusses with a
2.8k
> reaction on a 2 x 6 @ 16 " o.c. stud wall.  A double top plate will
not
> calc. out (2 x 6 SPF Stud Grade Fv=70 psi per NDS 1991)  Based on the
> calcs, I would need approximately 5 plates (or if No 2 Southern
Yellow