Re: Joist Chord Widths

I know of no current published data on joist widths. One option, however, may
be to  call several joist manufacturers. Keep in mind that the widths will
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. This still may not answer the
question since you will not know who will furnish the joists until the
project is bid.

I have collected old tables from years back from various manufacturers which
give an approximate width. These widths still seem to reasonable. For a 10K1
or 12K1, I would guess the total joist top chord width to be 2.5" to 3".

I can suggest a couple of ways to specify the location without knowing its
exact width:

1) Draw a section thru this joist and angle and dimension the edge of the
joist top chord as 1" off the face of the wall.

2) If you feel that you must locate the centerline of the joist but, you are
unsure of the horizontal angle leg required.......call the angle off as a
bent plate and specify the thickness, vertical leg and the horizontal length
that you would like the angle to lap the joist. The fabricator then must
determine the exact horizontal leg dimension by coordinating with the joist
manufacturer.

I hope this may help.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay,Wi