From: John Schwarz <jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: 10 November, 1998 2:29 PM
Subject: Sculpture support problem

>I'm a long time 'listener', first time 'caller'.
>
>I have a client who was commissioned to produce a bronze sculpture of a
running horse.  The man forging the beast has had some previous experience
with sculptures and was planning to 'design' the supports himself.  However,
when the artist/sculptor was finished, the fabricator was no longer
comfortable with the responsibility of providing/designing the support.
This is because the RUNNING horse has only one hoof on the ground
(accompanying leg at about 40 degree angle with the ground) and the other
three are at various horse-leg angles some distance above the ground... and
it weighs around 2000 lb.

><Enter structural engineer>.  The fabricator would like me to be able to
get a 1" diameter rod (stainless steel?) to work because it would fit nicely
inside the joints of the legs.  As you can probably imagine, a 1" dia rod
isn't working.  I have determined through a 3d model that I'm going to need
the equivalent of about 2 1/2" in solid diameter to work.  I could utilize
the bronze leg shells but they, in conjunction with the 1" rod still don't
cut it.  I am at a loss.