Re: Sculpture support problem

If the sculpture is cast, you could cast the leg, as a mold, from steel
with appropriate anchorage included at the base.  The length of the steel
leg into the body should be established as enough to support the balance of
the bronze sculpture.  Then use the steel leg as part of the mold for the
final casting of the bronze sculpture.

----------
> From: John Schwarz <jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Sculpture support problem
> Date: Tuesday, November 10, 1998 12:24 PM
>
> I'm a long time 'listener', first time 'caller'.
>
> I have a client who was commissioned to produce a bronze sculpture of a
running horse.  The man forging the beast has had some previous experience
with sculptures and was planning to 'design' the supports himself.
However, when the artist/sculptor was finished, the fabricator was no
longer comfortable with the responsibility of providing/designing the
support.  This is because the RUNNING horse has only one hoof on the ground
(accompanying leg at about 40 degree angle with the ground) and the other
three are at various horse-leg angles some distance above the ground... and
it weighs around 2000 lb.

> <Enter structural engineer>.  The fabricator would like me to be able to
get a 1" diameter rod (stainless steel?) to work because it would fit
nicely inside the joints of the legs.  As you can probably imagine, a 1"
dia rod isn't working.  I have determined through a 3d model that I'm going
to need the equivalent of about 2 1/2" in solid diameter to work.  I could
utilize the bronze leg shells but they, in conjunction with the 1" rod
still don't cut it.  I am at a loss.