Re: Sprinkler Line Seismic Bracing

In answer to your question;  yes this is most often how it is done.  Whats
more sprinkler designers apparently have a different code for this sort of
thing than say a mechanical engineer bracing water supply piping.
Personally I have had great difficulty getting the sprinkler designers to
adequately brace their piping.  The sprinkler designer refers to NFPA codes
that he uses to design with and which would not be provide adequate bracing
if calculated.

I don't know the size (and weight) of pipe that are supported and braced to
your beam but if it is small pipe,  4" or less and the span btwn braces is
not to large, I would guess that the lateral forces would not add
significant torsion to cause a problem.  You  might take some perverse
consolation in knowing that most sprinkler piping is thin walled and would
probably break before any significant lateral forces are transmitted to
your beam.

David Carpenter