Adoption of 1997 UBC

When may a jurisdiction adopt the 1997 UBC? I have heard conflicting
information. I have been told they have to wait until the State adopts
it. Has California adopted it? I have also been told that jurisdictions
are waiting for the issuing of California Uniform Building Code (CUBC,
a.k.a. "the green pages"). When are the "green pages" going to be
issued? We have called several jurisdictions. Some give straight
answers, but others change the date they will be requiring the 1997 UBC
as often as we call them.

If anyone has any information on this and what the jurisdictions you
have been dealing with are doing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Terri Schneider P.E.
Sacramento, CA