Wind damaged residences in Kansas

Our local news reported extensive damage in the Mid-west by heavy wind gusts. In particular, it showed wood framed residences destroyed by an 80 mph wind in the state of Kansas.
Can anyone provide additional information on the causes and contributions to this type of damage of residential structures?
The design criteria for 80 and 90 mph winds are not uncommon code requirements in parts of California. I would assume they are more prevalent in the Midwest due to high exposure area's.
Therefore, when a failure such as these described by local news is disclosed, I am concerned were the mode of failure occurs.

If anyone has any additional information on residential damages in the recent severe weather across the United States, I would appreciate any input.

Please Cc all posts to the distribution on the top of my email. This will be sent to the SEA International Listservice and the REACH Listservice where we can share in the discussions.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish PE
La Quinta, California