Re: Wind damaged residences in Kansas

The San Francisco Bay  area and surrounding communities are enforcing good
design for wood frame residential structures.  In fact, they're almost going
overboard, if there is such a thing.  Of course, we have the threat of the Big
One hanging over everyone's head.  I've been involved in many residential
projects that were brought to me after the building department requested a
"lateral analysis".  In some cases it's ridiculous, others very necessary due
to significant modifications.

The building departments are enforcing the code and architects and engineers
have responded.  Conventional Construction? Forget it!  No such thing anymore.

On the flip side, I reviewed a project in Hollister, California where the
builder/developer/designer/engineer built a residence on expansive clay.  The
plans had shearwalls and holdowns.  I asked him who was the engineer?  He
replied "There isn't one", to which I asked who designed the shearwalls &
holdowns? " We just put them on the plan wherever we thought it made sense".
!?!  Many jurisdictions still do not require engineering for residential.

I see many tract homes where you wonder how they got away without a single
solid wall in the front of a two story.  The nearest solid wall is usually at
the back of the garage.  The 2nd floor diaphragm is cantilevered at least 20
feet. Guess where the Master Bedroom sits?  That's right,  over the garage!

The bottom line is the more we educate and inform the customers, the more they
will demand sound engineering.

Regards,
Tom Jakaby, SE