Re: Wind damaged residences in Kansas

I agree with the responces which say that the west coast seems to be
adequately designing residential construction and contractors seem to do a
decent job of following the plans. The problem seems to be that the further
East you go, the looser the code wording and the enforcement. I have seen some
jobs from east coast engineers with 1/10 the detailing we do out here.

This concerns me especially since I have heard that the 2000 code uses BOCA as
a guide. No offence to BOCA, but this is a step backwards, especially in
regards to seismic design.

Richard Dahlmann, P.E.