From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 1998 12:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wind damaged residences in Kansas

Dennis Wish wrote:

. > Seismic Zone also has a lot to do with it. Engineers design in Zones 3
. > and 4 more often than they are required to do in Zone 0,1,or 2. This is
. > because little historic damage had occurred in high wind areas until
. > recently.
. >

This is not true!  Every summer (most of our stronger winds occur during the
summer rainy season) we have numerous damage, both residential and
commercial, from wind, and we are not considered a "high wind" area.  This
past summer, 17 consecutive telephone poles were blown down in a wind storm.
Thirty years ago, photos of wind damage appeared in the paper that showed
curtains sticking out of a house between the rafters and the wall plate and
similar damage occurs every summer.

What happens is that whenever this happens, someone always says that it
"sounded like a tornado" although they probably had never heard a tornado.
And *everyone knows* that you can't design to prevent tornado damage.
Besides, wind damage is covered by insurance.

BTW, speaking of insurance, how many of you have "codes and ordinance"
endorsements on your homeowners/business insurance?  This is an endorsement
that will pay the additional amount to repair damage in compliance with
current code and ordinance requirements, rather than to just pay to replace
the damage as it existed and you having to cough up the rest to have it
comply with code.  Check it out with your insurance agent!  You'll be
surprised about how inexpensive it is.  (My codes and ordinance endorsement
cost an additional $25.00 a year and provided for up to an additional 50
percent of the damage cost to have the repair comply with current codes and
ordinances.  It is not tied to the value of the house.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona