From: T [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com]
Sent: Friday, November 13, 1998 1:44 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Wind damaged residences in Kansas

This thread keeps re-surfacing and I do wish the engineering community would
make a stand, especially my learned collegues here in British Columbia.
But.......

This problem is not limited to wind-blown structures.  The residential
market world-wide (eg, when I studied at Kobe University back in the late
seventies I was amazed that the current engineering thought was not being
applied to residential construction - a habit of using traditional
craftspersons totally precluded any scientific thought coming anywhere
within a fart of real construction.  The recent earthquake had me with
sudden 20/20 vision thinking "I told you so!") does not appear to like
keeping up with engineering knowledge and opinion.  I would gladly take up
the issue except my own peers are less than enthusiastic about pursuing this
elusive beast.  So I wallow in apathy and try to convince my own clients of
the sense in at least considering (emphasis) the engineering implications.

Thor A. Tandy   P.Eng.,  MCSCE
Victoria, BC, Canada
e-mail: <vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com>