RE: Building structures on roller foundationsw

There are several base isolated buildings now constructed in NZ.  These are
usually buildings with important functions or valuable contents.  Examples
are a main police station (cantilevered piles and lead dampers), Museum of
NZ with the nation's treasures, newspaper printing plant for business
continuity.  Retrofit of unreinforces masonry buildings also feature, e.g.
Parliament Buildings and a four storey retail building in Wellington City.

BI adds about 10% to overall construction cost.  Our basic codes are
believed to be very good and shear wall design is often used for important
function buildings.  It is only where much better damage control, protection
of contents and functional continuity are critical that special measures of
base isolation are justified.

NZ with a population of 3.5 million does not have that much new construction
compared with overseas.  A surplus of buildings constructed in the boom
times of the 1980's is only just being caught up with.

Cheers

Bruce Shephard
Principal Consultant (Seismic Risk)
Opus International Consultants Ltd
P O Box 12,003
Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND
E-mail: bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz
Telephone: +64 4 4717597 Bus,
           +64 4 5863652 Res.
Facsimile: +64 4 4711397