Re: ICQ - personal chat software

I have also used ICQ and Freetel for quite some time to communicate with family and friends both here and overseas. Both can be downloaded for free. Freetel is one of about two dozen programs that be used to talk with others online for the cost of hooking to the Internet (a local phone call).  ICQ can load Freetel as an external or you may use some of the other programs that are listed. I  recommend both of them.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

 I am doing a project with two other engineers in different cities. A long time ago I used a chat software called ICQ (I seek you) to maintain contact with friends and family. The software loads each time you start your computer. Each time you log on to your Internet Service Provider (including most ISP's and AOL) ICQ will check your address book to see which people in you book are presently online. This works well if you are online often and need to ask a quick question or get a fast answer. The chat is private although I think this latest version allows a chat session between more than two people. In one context it works well when trying to seek a quick answer on a structural question and another engineer is currently online.You also have the option of sending an email to another person and arranging a chat session.There are other numerous features and advantages which I'll report on in the January issue of SEAint Online. In the mean time, I highly recommend the program as a useful additional Internet tool.It is available free of charge from http://www.icq.com Dennis Wish PE