Re: Bronze (One-legged Support) Horse Structure

Well, 'tis been an interesting research project.. still in progress.  What I've learned so far is that stainless steel is the material of choice for the support structure.  Neglecting the bronze shell, I need a 2" diameter bar to extend through the bent legs into the foundation (using 304L stainless steel.. Fy=35 ksi).

I've been researching higher strength materials because it would be "nice" to get a 1 1/4" diameter bar to work, as it would fit through the leg joints without modifying the structure.  Anyone know anything about AISI No. 630 (commonly called 17-4) precipitation hardened stainless steel?  Looks to have much higher strength.   It is bendable, weldable, ductile..  I haven't been able to locate a good source of this info.

I appreciate all the responses so far.  You all are quite a valuable resource.

John Schwarz, P.E.
The Schneider Corporation
jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com