Grouting or fiberboard between steel tank bottoms and concrete fo undations

A question about the interface between a concrete slab foundation (as
opposed to a ringwall foundation) and the bottom of a small to medium
diameter flat bottom industrial steel tanks.  I'm thinking of tanks whose
heights are not much more than their diameters and no more than, say, 20
feet tall.

Many standard references, such as AWWA D100, speak of providing a 1/2" layer
of asphalt saturated fiberboard (with the concrete finished to +/- 1/8"
tolerance in 30 feet circumferential length under the tank perimeter, etc),
a 1" sand cushion, or 1" minimum of grout.  I have also seen details that
call for a couple layers of asphalt saturated felt to be placed between the
concrete and the tank bottom.

However, it seems that many tanks are simply placed directly on the concrete
slab foundation finished to the 1/8" +/- tolerance.  What  practice have you
seen?  Anyone experience any problems one way or the other?

> Ed Marshall
Simons Engineering