From: John Schwarz [mailto:jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 1:43 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bronze (One-legged Support) Horse Structure

Well, 'tis been an interesting research project.. still in progress.  What
I've learned so far is that stainless steel is the material of choice for
the support structure.  Neglecting the bronze shell, I need a 2" diameter
bar to extend through the bent legs into the foundation (using 304L
stainless steel.. Fy=35 ksi).

I've been researching higher strength materials because it would be "nice"
to get a 1 1/4" diameter bar to work, as it would fit through the leg joints
without modifying the structure.  Anyone know anything about AISI No. 630
(commonly called 17-4) precipitation hardened stainless steel?  Looks to
have much higher strength.   It is bendable, weldable, ductile..  I haven't
been able to locate a good source of this info.

I appreciate all the responses so far.  You all are quite a valuable
resource.

John Schwarz, P.E.
The Schneider Corporation
jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com