RE: Bronze (One-legged Support) Horse Structure

>From "Selecting Carpenter Stainless Steels" Copyright 1983 by Carpenter
Technology Corp.:

Type 630 (17 Cr - 4 Ni) is a martensitic stainless w/ good corrosion
resistance (approaches that of Type 304 for most environments).  Yield
strength varies from 87 ksi for temper H 1150-M to 183 ksi for H 900.
Ultimate tensile strength 123 ksi to 198 ksi.  Elongation 22% to 15% for the
same respective tempers.  Charpy V-notch toughness 100 to 16 ft-lbs.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: John Schwarz [mailto:jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com]
	Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 1:43 PM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: Re: Bronze (One-legged Support) Horse Structure

	Well, 'tis been an interesting research project.. still in progress.
What
	I've learned so far is that stainless steel is the material of
choice for
	the support structure.  Neglecting the bronze shell, I need a 2"
diameter
	bar to extend through the bent legs into the foundation (using 304L
	stainless steel.. Fy=35 ksi).

	I've been researching higher strength materials because it would be
"nice"
	to get a 1 1/4" diameter bar to work, as it would fit through the
leg joints
	without modifying the structure.  Anyone know anything about AISI
No. 630
	(commonly called 17-4) precipitation hardened stainless steel?
Looks to
	have much higher strength.   It is bendable, weldable, ductile..  I
haven't
	been able to locate a good source of this info.

	I appreciate all the responses so far.  You all are quite a valuable
	resource.

	John Schwarz, P.E.
	The Schneider Corporation
	jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com