Re: Brick walls on top of gable roofs

The prefered method, of course, is to run the masonry down to the foundation. I do
not recommend supporting masonry off of roof trusses or any other type horizontal
wood member because of the long term sag which will eventually occur. Lagging a
steel angle to a full height stud wall may be an  option, depending on how much
load is actually being supported. Proper details must be developed and used.

If a support angle has to be sloped, I use small keeper plates welded to the angle
to engage the brick and prevent sliding of the brick along the angle. Locate the
plates in the head joints.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.