-----Original Message-----
From:	Caldwell, Stan [SMTP:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 19, 1998 8:05 AM
To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject:	RE: Caisson Design Program

Mike:

A great deal of work has been done in this subject area, both for the
offshore oil industry and for the Texas Department of Transportation
(TXDOT).  Virtually all of the early (1970s) work was done at the
University of Texas in Austin by Hudson Matlock and Lyman Reese.  Since
then, I believe that the work has spread to other local institutions, such
as Texas A&M University and the University of Houston.  For the most part,
the resulting programs follow the theory of beams broken into discrete
elements and bearing on inelastic soil springs.  Of course, it takes a good
deal of soil testing and quite a bit of luck to get those nonlinear springs
anywhere near to "correct"!;^>

Since your interest is concrete caissons (in Texas, we call them drilled
piers or drilled shafts), rather than steel pipe piles, I suggest that you
start your search at TXDOT in Austin and/or the Texas Transportation
Institute (TTI) at College Station.  Either way, this should result in
public domain (probably free) software.

Try http://www.dot.state.tx.us/ or http://tti.tamu.edu/

Good hunting!  If you find a really great program, please let all of us
know!

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

The goal of every engineer is to retire without
getting blamed for a major catastrophe!
                                      ... Dilbert