Re: Brick walls on top of gable roofs

The request by an architect or a customer for brick veneer on a
gable end wall above a one story section is quite common on the East
Coast.  From a builders perspective, this is an easy problem to
solve.  Run the brick veneer up from the nearest available masonry
or concrete footing.  Make sure the brick veneer is fully
supported (i.e. that it goes vertically from the footing to the
top of the wall.  This means either using 4 inch cinder block in
the garage, where it cannot be seen from the street, and then
brick veneer above the gable end roof, or an exposed brick wall
"decorating" the garage/house common wall.  It is only a question
of monet and the money is the reason most houses have a
non-structural siding above the gartage in this location.  I have
used a steel angle bolted to the wood frame wall in Virginia BOCA
jurisdictions and the building official has accepted it.  The long
term result is some settlement cracking, but no structural damage.
Don Carr

> I have a case where my customer is building a house that is 2 story
> with a one story garage.  The drawings show that brick will be on
> the 2nd floor wall of the main house that is above the one story
> garage.
>
> I have seen people do this on other houses, but have never seen
> anything done to insure the brick does not slide down the inclined
> surface of the steel angle they lay on the lower roof and attach to
> the wall.  I have seen houses with vertical cracks in the brick at
> the peak of the lower roof.  I estimate that the could be caused by
> sag of the roof or sliding of the brick along the angle.
>
> Does anyone have any good methods of securing the brick both
> vertically and horizontally when brick is placed over a roof such as
> this?
>
> Thanks
> Ron Martin
> Tuscaloosa, AL