Re: Brick walls on top of gable roofs

Is it the intent of the national codes (UBC '97 2307, BOCA '96 2112.3  and
SBC) not to have any masonry directly supported by wood? I also assume
that they are refering to vertical support only and not lateral support.
What about the case where the masonry is supported by a steel angle which
in turn is supported by a wood stud wall? I assume the concern is for the
wood supports rotting out if the masonry is in direct contact. What if you
are supporting only a few feet of masonry?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi