ASCE vs AWWA

I have been comissioned to design a foundation for a 225' water tower. The tower will be designed by a tank vendor with proper professional registration. They are using AWWA D100 standards. I am using ASCE 7 to determine proper wind forces on the foundation.
I am not that familiar with AWWA. AWWA states that the actual wind velocity should be used but should not be less than 100 MPH. It gives no means to determine what velocity should be used and it gives no means to determine when a different velocity should be used.

ASCE 7 gives good info on this subject. I am designing the foundation for 120 MPH ASCE 7-95. I suggested that my client put into his specs to use ASCE 7 and/or AWWA. He refuses. He also refuses to put in a higher AWWA wind speed even though this is < 100 miles from the Gulf Coast.

The foundation will be designed with ASCE 7 or AWWA (whichever is most stringent). Do I drop the subject and hope for the best or do I insist that the client change his performance spec for the tank.

Most of y'all are earthquake hounds but how about a little feedback for us hurricane folk?

This project is out in the boonies and there are no local governing codes.