RE: Brick walls on top of gable roofs

To the letter of the code, that is correct.  UBC 97 section 2307 "Wood
members shall not be used to support the dead load of any masonry or
concrete"  There are a few minor exceptions, but that eliminates the use of
a steel brick ledge attached to wood.  It is often done, and IMHO should be
allowed for cosmetic brick, but the UBC says "NO".
JDC