Re: Garage Floor Design

+ACI-Does anybody know something that I am missing here. Could there be a
justification for using less than 1000+ACM- on a single joist?+ACI-

This is a good question.  I will be curious to see how others deal with
this.

The Caltrans bridge manual uses a S/4 distribution for timber beams with
planks.  The S is the stringer spacing, in this case one foot would result
in four joists supporting the point load.  Planks are defined as +ACI-pieces of
lumber laid edge to edge with the wide faces bearing on the supports+ACI- (I am
assuming 4x material min), or four inch thick nail laminated (on edge).  I
cannot find any reference in the bridge manual to plywood with concrete in
place of planks.

APA report +ACM-139 covers plywood floors for residential garages.  They make
recommendations for floors both with and without concrete topping.  For
example: 1 1/8+ACI- ply with 3+ACI- of concrete (6x6x10 ww mesh) spans 24+ACI-,  3/4+ACI-
ply w/ 3+ACI- of concrete spans 16+ACI-.  I have a gut feeling that the 3/4+ACI- plywood
with a 3+ACI- slab would be equivalent to the 4x planks in terms of being able
to distribute wheel loads.  If my assumption is correct then it would seem
me that you could use 500+ACM- on a single joist.

Randy Vogelgesang S.E.