Re: Garage Floor Design

Maybe there is something that I've been missing but getting away with. I've
designed several hillside homes with elevated garage floor systems here in Los
Angeles. The construction has been very similar to the one you've described.
If I'm not mistaken, Section 1607.3.3 "Concentrated Loads" in the UBC, states
"...placed upon any space 2 1/2 feet square,". This does not state 2 1/2
square feet. I've always interpreted this to mean 2 1/2 feet x 2 1/2 feet
which would distribute the 2000 pound point load over three joists and not
two. This reduces the load to 667 pounds per joist. At this point, a uniform
live load of 667 pounds/2.5 feet (266 pounds/foot) would be applied to that
area of the joist. Using this methodology, the joists might calc-out.

I would be interested in other engineers' takes on the subject. I've never had
a problem getting a plan checker to buy into this, and I've never had a
performance problem with any of the floors I've designed using this.

Greg Riley PE