RE: Garage Floor Design

Greg:
I think you should look at the second paragraph in section 1604.3...

"Parking garages for the storage of private or pleasure-type motor vehicles
with no repair or refueling shall have a floor system designed for a
concentrated load of not less than 2,000 pounds acting on an area of 20
square inches..."

I also think it is reasonable to consider where the point loads actually
occur.  It may be conservative to apply the point load at mid-span of the
joists.  You may want to look at where the wheel loads will actually occur
based on the garage door opeinings.  Of course this does not take into
account a resident jacking up their vehicle in the garage but that is a
pretty rare occuurence.

Regards...Henry David Kim