punching shear and seismic compatibility moments

My company is designing a multistory concrete hotel in Southern
California (seismic zone 4).  The construction is post-tensioned floors
(7.5") on concrete columns with shear walls in both directions for the
lateral system.  There are no drop panels or column capitals and we are
typically using Studrail shear reinforcing in the slab.

When checking punching shear in the slab, we have a few different load
cases including: factored gravity and seismic compatibility moments;
unfactored gravity  and seismic compatibility moments at a displacement
of (3*Rw/8)*static displacements.

The magnitude of the compatibility moments is dependent on the effective
properties of the slab.  The larger the effective slab width, the higher
the slab moment of inertia and the compatibility moments are.

What effective slab width should be used to calculate the slab
properties?

All comments are welcome.

Thank You

Nicholas Arenson, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Associates, Inc.
160 Jefferson Drive, Menlo Park, CA 94025
Phone: 650.688.4710 Facsimile: 650.688.4712
E-mail: arenson(--nospam--at)klaa.com <mailto:arenson(--nospam--at)klaa.com>    Web: www.klaa.com
<http://www.klaa.com>