Fire Wall

The January 96 issue of Modern Steel Construction had a short item about
such walls.  The author said "Tied fire-walls seem to be almost impossible
to build, without excessive cost due to added strength, structure, and fire
protection required to withstand the force of collapse on one side of the
wall.  He referred to three sources, none of which seemed enthusiastic about
tied walls.
Brannigan, "Building Construction for the Fire Service", National Fire
Protection
Association.

	"Fire Protection Handbook", National Fire Protection Association

	Fire Walls in Modern Industrial Buildings", Factory Mutual Insurance
Company

Also you might refer to NCMA TEK 5-8A published by National Concrete Masonry
Association.  They give examples of how to construct tied fire walls for
buildings such as yours.

Thinking about a free standing wall sends shivers down my spine and "seismic
design" doesn't even get considered here in Wisconsin.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc.

 I have a job (low seismic risk, Av=0.05) that requires a 4 story, 2 hour
rated fire wall between a new 7 story addition and the existing 4 story
building.  Both the buildings are 2 hour rated concrete framed buildings.
We plan on using a masonry fire wall and would like to brace it to the new
construction.  Does anyone know of any type of attachment that would be
appropriate for these connections.  Based on the fire wall principle that
either building should be able to collapse without the fire wall loosing
it's ability to perform.

Tom Bouffard