Re: CADD: Microstation/J: Why Isn't It Platform Independent?

While MicroStation/J is not written in Java (it's written in  ) it
does include the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) which enables it to run
any java application right from within MicroStation.  The Java
programming language by nature is platform-independent but the JVM
must be ported to each individual platform hence the need for
different flavours of MicroStation.

For further clarification allow me to include a quote by the one of
the principles of MicroStation's developer, Bentley Systems Inc.,
Keith Bentley, which was posted in the comp.cad.microstation
newsgroup (Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:29:52):

"MicroStation/J is definitely a multi-platform product and Bentley
is definitely a multi-platform software company. . . . MicroStation
itself INCORPORATES the Java/JMDL Virtual Machine (just as
MicroStation 95/SE incorporates the MDL virtual machine) but
MicroStation itself is not "written in Java". Bentley's job is to
make that virtual machine work on multiple platforms."

A further quote from Sergey Solyanik, a software developer at
Bentley,  in the comp.cad.microstation newsgroup (Thu, 15 Jan 1998
09:27:27) asserts:

"We have licensed Java from JavaSoft, we utilize their code to
execute Java bytecodes; moreover, our license agreement with Sun
requires us to pass a suite of more than 8000 tests before we can
ship the product. There is not a single line of Microsoft code in
JMDL."

For more info on this newest version of the most innovative
enterprise-wide CAD solution, see
http://www.bentley.com/news/97q3/msj.htm and
http://www.bentley.com/products/mstation/j/ .

Best regards,