Re: perceptible floor slopes

David,

This is related to your question regarding the limit of perceptable floor slopes..sort of.

I have had a couple of projects come up lately dealing with lousy residential construction practices and monitoring wherein I was called to determine the acceptability of the out-of-level of floors.  Until recently, I shyed away from these sticky situations.  I have done a little research and the best information that I have found to date documenting residential construction standards is a publication called Residential Construction - Performance Guidelines put out by NAHB.

This publication states that the limit of out-of-level floors is 1/2" in 20'.

Food for thought:  I certainly do not question the integrity of the sources for these quidelines, but I have to wonder if the standards of quality would be different if they were drafted by a user group(is there a National Association of Home Buyers? - kidding) instead of the builder group.  Quote from the publication:  "The performance guidelines in this manual were created and reviewed by more than 300 builders and remodelers across the United States... This exhaustive review has resulted in a manual that builders and remodelers can reference with confidence as they communicate with their customers."

John Schwarz, P.E.
The Schneider Corporation
Indianapolis, Indiana
jschwarz(--nospam--at)theschneidercorp.com