RE: Rigid plywood diaphragms

Thank you Charles Greenlaw, Michael Cochran, Ernie Natividad and Dave Puskas
for your detailed and insightful responses.

To tell you the truth, I am not that much worried about the possible
litigation.  But I do understand the merit behind the rigid or rather
semirigid behavior of wood structures with closely spaced shear walls.  As
somebody said the building does what it wants under the loading. Our job is
to use our engineering judgement, available research and codes to safely
design them.

I will in fact use tributary area method as the base for my horizontal shear
distribution (it does not take that much time and it seems to be still
working).  It should not be that difficult to put together the spreadsheet
using UBC Standards formulas for shear wall deflection either.  I am
wondering though if it would give me the realistic shear distribution ( I
don't think so)  and would it be any closer to the actual performance of the
system than the customary method above.

Let's not forget that we are talking about the RELATIVE RIGIDITY of shear
walls along different lines of resistance.  For the sake of the argument
let's look at the direction when framing is parallel to shear walls.  So the
overturning moment and boundary member forces are the function of the unit
shear times the height of the wall.  I can drop out several components of
the total deflection from my relative rigidity calcs that would cancel out.
These elements may include deflection due to oversized holes in holdowns
(which in fact are 2 to 3 times more than the holdown deformations itself),
plywood shear deformations, slip in sill bolts.

I liked Charles's suggestion to use the surplus capacity rather than the
tabulated capacity of the shear wall.  If we only could design all of our
walls stressed to the same percentage of the allowable... (:<).  But that's
not going to happen.

Well, it's late, and I don't have any answers yet, only thoughts.  Anybody
else?

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson