Re: perceptible floor slopes

As a recent data point, I recently inspected an older home that had a
floor sloping a constant 1 inch per ten feet (~0.85%).  It was not
noticeable to me or a builder who accompnaied me, nor had the occupants
noticed.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:08:53 -0600 Jim Kestner
<jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com> writes:
>>From my days in construction, I have always felt that 1/4" per foot
>was noticeable
>and 1/8" per foot was not. This corresponds to your 2%. It is possible
>though for
>the human eye to be easily deceived especially when your point of
>reference is
>varying. For example, when walking down a railroad track going up a
>grade as the
>track enters a cut will seem like you are going down the grade instead
>of up.Use a
>level when in doubt.
>
>Jim Kestner, P.E.
>Green Bay, Wi.
>

>JDMACKPE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a reference for tolerable floor slopes, ie at what
>per cent of
>> floor slope does teh slope become perceptible to the average person.
> I' ve
>> heard its in the range of 1to 2 percent but I'm looking for some
>research or
>> other verification of this and haven't had much luck.
>>
>> thanks for your help.
>>
>> David Mack, P.E.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]