RE: lateral load to Dave Anderson

>Maybe time to update your 1974 ASTM
>Specifications re: structural steels?

>Then again, from what it sounds like
>you work with, the quality of the steel in those applications has a history
>of being much closer and carefully controlled so you probably get a chuckle
>out of what we structural folks have accepted over the years.

Those are just old scrapbook copies (which, BTW, make the same provision
for anchor bolts as the newest revs.) I ought to get gigged for referring
to an old spec, God knows I've waved my arms enough about using current
specs.

Point taken on the anchor bolt provision. I noticed that Grade B is
suggested for cast iron flanges, but steel where the only chemistry
control is phosphorus and sulfur does seem like a holdover from riveted
iron boilers.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw