Re: Lateral Restraint for tall column

When I was in college, I was taught a column bracing point needed to withstand
2% of the downward (vertical) force in order to sufficient act as a brace
against buckling.  Not sure of the origins of the magical 2% number.  Also, it
was strongly emphasized the bracing force must be immediately available (i.e.
no initial flexibilities).  The reason behind this was that is that 2% is a
number which will PREVENT a column from buckling.  By contrast, should the
column begin to buckle (because the bracing stiffness isn't sufficient), almost
no force will arrest the column from continuing to buckle.  TS6x6 for the
situation you described seems reasonable to me.

Dan.
--
Daniel J. Huntington
Structural Designer

KJWW Engineering Consultants, P.C.
623 26th Avenue
Rock Island, IL 61201
PH: (309) 788-0673
Fax: (309) 786-5967

mailto:huntingtondj(--nospam--at)kjww.com
http://www.kjww.com