RE: gauge of material

Were you comparing apples and oranges?  The gauge numbers are related to
thickness, and higher numbers represent thinner material, but only within
the same system.  Notice that the AISC ASD Manual lists three different
systems for steel alone, and the same gage number means different
thicknesses in each one.