RE: INTERNET: Mailing Lists

I have one last comment then I'm gone from this thread.
Polhemus missed this in all of his posts. SEAint IS an information
collecting services. Threads related to structural topics are archived for
retrieval by those who may need the information when faced with a similar
problem.
The more information we collect, the greater then chance that any member who
needs the help will find it in one easy location.
Polhemus is interested in the social aspects of the list and this is fine. I
save content relevant to the work I do so that when I am faced with a
dilemma, I review the opinions of my peers and decide on the appropriate
course of action.

Regardless of who believes this to be an important service or who believes
who should lead in the development of this medium the fact remains that
SEAint was the first to put up the dollars, purchase the server, establish
this list for the last four to six years and not ask anything in return from
those who subscribe. The fact that the server and the sponsorship for SEAint
belongs to Structural Engineers Association of Southern California with the
support of SEA of California indicates that one of the most influential
professional organizations has identified the need to pull other
organizations together, virtually, for the purpose of solving problems
without the duplication of effort.
Still, the SEAint List which appears to be more of a social club to some -
is in fact the most successful virtual peer help system established today.
Finally, if not for the SEAint List - Polhemus and others would not have the
opportunity to seek subscribers with common interest on the Internet and
invite them to his list.
This is not gloating, this is simply fact.
Personally, I am similar to Polhemus in that I am not normally a joiner -
nor have I ever been accused of being a company man. The fact is that a few
people in SEAoSC had the vision to see where this trend was going and
decided, over the many obstacles , to make this a reality. I am pleased to
be one of the founders of this - as is Shafat Qazi who's knowledge of the
Internet, hardware and programming made our dreams a reality.
This would also not have been possible without the support of the SEAoSC and
SEAOC Computer Applications Committee member - including Bruce Bates, Mark
Deardorff, Steven Fisher, Jerry Murdock, Dennis McCroskey, James Lord, Claud
St Amond (sorry if I spell this wrong), Larry Mackey, Joseph Horouni, Ken
O'Dell and others I am sure I have missed. These are the core people who
volunteered their efforts to make the List, Web and SEA Online (for six
years) a reality. These are the individuals who deserve credit and who have
worked silently in the background with no other expectation than to make
this real. The same individuals who went to the SEAOSC and SEAOC board of
directors and opened their eyes to the possibilities. These are the same
individuals who continue to develop the transports that the structural
engineering professionals need to evolve into the next millennium.
We do not wish to stagnate the Listservice. The majority of members of SEAOC
(including each chapter) understand that what we created is a very important
tool to the future of our profession yet is in the infancy stage.  As the
adoption of the IBC becomes a reality, even SEAOT will need to be involved
in the creation of codes they expect to enforce.
We realized that there was a need to reduce expenditures caused by increased
cost of Committee meetings - especially on a national level. We have also
reached out to engineers who were geographically challenged by distance from
their peer. Those who needed advice and had no other engineers close enough
could simply post a question and get a dozen answers. This happened to be my
selfish expectation as I moved 150 miles away from Los Angeles and did not
want to lose my connection with SEAOSC or ability to seek help with problems
I faced in private practice.
In closing, I apologize if it sounds like I am overly passionate on this
issue. Many of us continue to devote our time and energy for what we
perceive as the development of the tools that our profession needs to do
productive work.
Thanksgiving, is a time in which we should stop and remember those in the
background and who we seem to be taking for granted.
 I object to subscribers denigrating SEAint in spite of all the work that
SEAint has accomplished over the last few years.
I suggest you go to the middle of this letter and review those names I've
posted - these are the devoted "joiners" who cared enough to make this
Listservice possible. They have worked in the background and have for over
six years remained anonymous. Other than Shafat and I, these are the
backbone that help make these "tools" a reality for over 12,000
professionals around the world. This is a good time (in the U.S. our
Thanksgiving Day) to remember them.
Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish PE