Fw: gusset plates

From: J. Karim Hosseinzadeh <jamkar(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: 24 Kasım 1998 Salı 23:03
Subject: Re: gusset plates

Weld size should be as small as possible so that the heat does not
adversely affect the web. I would detail stiffener plates on each sides of
the web, on top and bottom of the gusset plate and weld them to the col.
flanges. Please let me if you have any specific concern?

Karim Hosseinzadeh

dear sir

my concern is not welding point of view. even though such a detail as
mentioned in your fax is used, our consultant
says it is not good in high seismic areas (this building is a 1 storey power
house).is there any clause in ubc regarding this
subject.

thanks in advance

rauf akbaba